Tuesday, November 28, 2006

No Grad School for me.

Reasons # 1 - 7 why when i actually do make decisions about my future or make my plans that I should not consider graduate school as an option (besides the fact that this sentence is grammatically incorrect).

1) I hate writing papers. The actualy writing that is. I like having the finished product. I like the reading. I like editing. The actual writing process is a form of torture that has been especially tormenting. Future Me: remember the painful days of writing, procrastinating, and all of the active things you could pursue rather than writing. Think about all the writing you will have to do in grad school.

2) Oftentimes, I hate academic thinking. [As this is a negative list, we will ignore all the times that I absolutely love academic thinking for the moment.] Academia is helpful and wonderful...to a point. And when you cross that point it is just painful to sit and discuss, or write. Learning is valuable, so is writing and critically thinking, but then its time to DO SOMETHING.

3) Under the assumption of #2, grad school would only delay the actual doing of something, whatever that something may be.

4) It costs a hell of a lot of money. See #5 for why I won't be getting one of those fabulous fellowships.

5) Grades. Mine are good, but I could relax a little bit and just focus on learning rather than the actual grades themselves if I didn't have to worry about grad school.

6) The GRE and the LSAT. Enough said.

7) Sometimes thinking is just too much.

No comments: