Monday, April 30, 2007

Home with the Roommate

Hello Again...It's been awhile.

Last week was another one of work...woo hoo. Can you tell I only have 2 more weeks of classes and that I'm jealous that my friends at Valpo are already in their last week of classes and can see the finish line? Ah well, 17 more days after today so I probably shouldn't complain, especially after my fantastic weekend.


My roommate Narjisse had invited me home awhile ago, but this was the first weekend we could make it work. And it was just lovely. We headed out Friday about noon via grande taxi to Meknes where we caught the train to Rabat (about a 2 1/2 hour ride). She lives in Kinetra which is about 20 minutes by train south of Rabat, but we first met up with her sister Khawla (prounced Khoula) who lives in Rabat and works for the Central Bank of Morocco (sort of like our Federal Reserve).


We had a bit of an adventure upon our arrival. I had meant to grab cash from an ATM in Ifrane, but we left in a rush so as to not miss our train and so I didn't. So, as soon as we got in and were walking towards our meet up place I saw an ATM and I was like perfect! [It always makes me nervous to be traveling without very much cash, just in case!] So, I went over to the ATM, a boy probably about 15 or 16 was sitting a little ways away from the ATM on the ground, but I didn't really think much of it as its pretty common to see people on the streets of Rabat begging or just sitting...so I punch in all my numbers as my roommate chats away and as I'm putting my 1000 dirhams in my purse all the sudden the boy lunges up and grabs my money! I was still holding on to the other end but was so surprised! He was holding on fiercely as my roommate started yelling at him to let go...all three of us were now holding on tightly to my money as we formed this little triangle of holding on to stuff, the money, and yelling at him to get away...as this was going on, another man on the street came up and grabbed the boy and started kicking and hitting him to let go (during this time the boy never responded...my roommate said he was probably high and so was in a bit of an obstinate daze)...he motioned for my roommate and I to let go of the money and soon the boy was on the ground being kicked but still holding tightly to my money has the other man began to pry his fingers off...finally he let go, though not without already having ripped most of the bills and we were all able to step back as he just flopped out on the ground still in his daze. We went into the bank and they taped up my money and off we went leaving the man to talk to the police....it was quite the experience. Luckily, both Narjisse and I were unhurt and I left with all of the money I had withdrawn. Narjisse said the boy was probably Sengalese...its a big problem in Morocco that large numbers of Africans come up through Morocco trying to get to Europe but end up getting stuck and begging in the streets.




Narjisse with my taped up 200 dirhams...



So that was my "almost getting robbed" story...luckily it did not have a lasting effect on the weekend. We met up with Khawla and went around Rabat a bit...seeing this cool old wall/gate, walking through the old kasbah taking pictures and being slightly touristy as Narjisse hadn't been to these places either. It was really nice 1) to be going everywhere by car because you see a place really differently instead of coming in by taxi and just walking to places you know from a guidebook, etc... 2) being with Narjisse and Khawla and being semi-local. I could see the other tourists from Spain, France, England or eslewhere and see them just standing out so much and I could blend in a bit more by being with them. Plus, it was nice to see that my touristy experiences haven't been too out of the ordinary...the grande taxi driver still tried to rip us off, we still took tons of picutres and asked for directions, the guys still made comments at us...this time I had two people with me though that could translate and we could all laugh together! :-)



After awhile in Rabat, we drove towards Kinetra on the freeway and arrived at our home just in time for a lovely dinner with her other sister Abir and her parents. They of course stuffed me and while weren't too pushy about filling my plate again and again, clearly wanted to make their hospitality known. Her parents don't speak English, but even they could understand some of what I was saying. Khawla and Narjisse speak really good English and even her sister Abir could communicate with me well, so I was pretty spoiled for the weekend. Narjisse acted as an amazing translator...I'm so proud of her with her English!



Her sister and I hung out a bit that evening and then went to sleep...got up the next morning by her mother's orders to come down to breakfast where there was a delicious spread awaiting. Then, Narjisse, Abir, Khawla and I headed out to see a bit of Kinetra. We saw this really cool old castle that protected Kinetra centuries ago...Narjisse and I have a plan now to marry rich husbands who will renovate it so we can live in it someday. :-) It was very cool and had an amazing view of the beach and the water...ah, the Atlantic. We explored a bit as our guide took us around, again with the girls translating for me. Then we went down to the beach, felt the sand in our toes and the cold water of the ocean, then dropped by the supermarket near their house (very much like a Walmart Superstore with grocery included) picked up a cake for the family and then headed back for lunch.



Lunch was a huge meal with her family and her aunt and uncle and their two girls. It was in this formal dining room which was beautiful...we started out with artichokes and melon, then they brought out bread and vegetables and salad, and then a HUGE platter with a fish surrounded by lots of yummy vegetables (the vegetables at AUI suck, so I love any occasion where I get healthy food). I was stuffed by the end and then they brought out this amazing cake her aunt made and fruit. Followed by coffeee! Oy! It was delicious.

Narjisse, Me and her family (and aunts and uncles) after lunch...my camera took to long to take the picture so i look slightly bizarre. Oh well.

Everyone hung out a while and then her father took Abir, Narjisse, I and one of Narjisse' friends Ichraq to the nature reserve in Kinetra called the Centre National D'Education Environmentale...basically where all of these birds migrate from Europe and make a rest stop in Kinetra before heading down to sub Saharan Africa. Pretty cool, eh? It was very beautiful and reminded me a bit of home with the lush trees and lake and such. Narjisse's father got us in to see the center even though it was closed ("She came from America to see!") and it was cool to see the exhibits they had set up for visitng school kids and such and then to see the birds.


Back for a snack, her mom/their maid made harsha just for me (my favorite breakfast food, sort of like cornbread except not) which was delicious. Then we ran some errands, came back for a quick supper of spaghetti and chilled for the evening. When I went up for bed that night I found a beautiful kaftan waiting for me...one of the traditional dresses here in Morocco. I was so touched, her family was so utterly sweet to me!


Narjisse and I got up the next morning and jumped on the train to Rabat, again met up with her sister and saw a few more of the sights. We saw Hassan Tower (a mosque that was never finished but would have been HUGE) and the Masueloeum of Mohammad V and grabbed some lunch at the mall before jumping back on the train for our trek home. Blah. I think the worst part of traveling is coming back home...train to taxi to Ifrane. Neither Narjisse and I were particularly happy to be back to cold Ifrane after sunny beatuiful Rabat and Kinetra...but alas.


So it was a wonderful weekend, though if anything I was perhaps a tinge more homesick as it was so nice to be in a family house again and to be welcomed so hospitably. As soon as we got back I rushed off to go be a part of the student-led service for church which was somewhat scattered as is the nature of those things, but turned out pretty well overall. We made these little books with our favorite scriptures and quotes that went along with the lectionary's theme of God the Good Shepherd and the whole congregation absolutely loved them! So that was exciting.


Now, I'm sort of back in the grind of things. Tomorrow is Moroccan Labor Day so we have a pretty broken up week, which is lovely because that means I only have 3 days of class...but today has been pretty blah. I'm ready to go home and all my classes have reached that frustrating point of no one wanting to be there. Yesterday in Middle East Politics we debated the Arab-Israeli conflict for about a half in hour which is sort of hopeless...as well I'm getting kind of tired of the dynamics between teh international students here. They're lovely people, but I think we're reaching the end of the rope so to speak...I almost hurled one of them through the window yesterday, so I've taken most of the evening to just chill by myself. Narjisse and I watched Cheaper by the Dozen on tv so that was fun! :-)


But now only 17 more days...2 papers, 1 presentation (this Thursday in Arabic so keep me in your prayers), 3 finals, and one huge packing ordeal to go. This weekend is the beach retreat with church which should be lovely and then after that, we may have one last intl. student hoorah before we go, but we'll see. I may just study and get ready to come home!


Until then....God's peace.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

HANNAH! I read it. Aren't you proud????
I read it without too much prompting

Praying for you in these next two weeks...best wishes with finals and life and stuff.

Oh, and it is super cool that you got to experience some good ol' hospitality at its finest. sweet roommate. really coolio.

cheers