Sunday, December 10, 2006

3:12 am

There's something honest about facing the mirror at 3:00 am when you can't sleep.

The body is not quite awake as usual, but the mind...the mind is awake.
Almost as awake as the heart.

Because let's be honest, if the mind and heart weren't awake, then the body would definitely not be.

At 3am, the mind and heart are forced to be honest with one another because there's nothing else to be done.

The body wants sleep. The mind and heart have to converge...what is wrong? what am I thinking? what am I feeling? what do I need to do right now? what do I need to do to feel at peace so that my body can sleep?

What if more moments in the day were like that? Ifevery moment was like 3 am in the mirror would we not be more honest with ourselves, with our friends, with those we work and play with?

3am forces you to confront the worst in yourself...though I'll admit provides that hazy edge that I think drinkers like because it softens the blow.

But mainly 3 am is a time when your brain doesn't really let you think about anything of substance because it is doing its work behind-the-scenes...confronting issues, healing, breaking, renewing, ripping off the bandaid, and pushing in a bit of reality, but of course being careful to leave in just enough fantasy to remain young, hopeful, and energetic...if nothing else so the body and heart last through finals.

But as important as that process is...3 am is really for the heart.

It's like this:

The heart is a small, bumbling, passionate creature that is always vying for standing room with the mind and the body and most of the time gets kicked to the curb. But she's tougher than she looks. And at 3am, she gets fet up. Kicks the body in the ass and says "sit down you fool." Then she turns to the mind, looks her up and down, and says "do your thang honey, but keep out of my way...it's my time." Then the heart takes the driver's seat...pulls it closer to the petals, turns on the iTunes that speak to her mood, and drives...

No comments: